I was recently informed about some Internet sites dealing with Ryukyuan Independence. Apparently, there are some groups seeking formal political independence for Okinawa and the Ryukyuan islands.
The Ryukyu Independent Party official website is sponsored by the Kariyushi Club. Note: The site content is all in Japanese with no English translation provided. The policy goals of the Ryukyu Independence Party are as follow:
- To make Okinawa State distinct from Kyūshū, in case Japan restructures the current prefectures into states based on regions.
- To lower the employment costs of civil officers.
- To introduce the sightseeing tax to create the jobs of 5,000 people.
- To create more jobs by Okinawa Longitudinal Subway with a shelter (like the one in Sapporo).
- To introduce the insurance for tourist agents.
- To establish the regulation to protect nature for tourism.
- To offer jobs preferentially to native Okinawans.
- To abolish the value added tax on foods.
- To hold an international conference for armament reduction.
- To teach unique Okinawan history. Source.
Source: “Independence movements and aspirant peoples (Japan) by Phil Nelson who runs the blog: Flags of the World.